Here at IN-RGY, we never worry about our payroll year-end process. Why, you ask? We leverage our expertise to support many clients in their own process (efficient guidance services, accurate configuration, calculations and reconciliation), so we know just how to successfully plan and deliver a fiscal YE.
Furthermore, we use the following 5 simple guidelines and tools.
1. Establish your system update strategy
- Decide which system update you need: Human Resources Support Packages (HRSP) or Country Legal Changes (CLC) (more specific to Canada). Consult us to know which system update to install depending on your situation.
- Choose the frequency of individual YE OSS system updates.
- Make better use of your existing tools: SAP Scope & Effort Analyzer (SEA) and Business Process Change Analyzer (BPCA) from SAP Solution Manager 7.1, as well as User Procedure Login (UPL), enable the system to provide statistics and valuable information. You can then narrow your focus to the objects and transactions truly impacted by the HRSP, CLC or your EHP upgrade, thereby cutting your testing time and efforts by 60-70%. This will give you more time to work on system enhancements and other strategic activities.
2. Gather the information and templates you need
- If you are located in Quebec, make sure you get your MRQ Magnetic Media Transmittal number ahead of time: receiving it can take several weeks.
- Make sure you have the latest XML templates.
- Review the SAP Marketplace Canada and The Canadian Payroll Association’s (CPA) requirement changes (e.g., the new Record of Employment for year 2015) to find out the impacts of new regulations on your system update.
3. Define roles and responsibilities
- Make sure the IT and payroll departments are in sync with upcoming activities and timelines.
- Remind employees to update their mailing addresses, complete their additional tax deduction requests, and update other important information.
- Make sure you engage with third parties early on if you outsource form printing and distribution. Timelines and file might have unexpected restrictions or requirements.
4. Establish your deployment plan
- Include core payroll activities (reconciliation process, forms creation, reports and adjustments, etc.). Completing a YE cycle means more than just system updates!
- Create a thorough configuration template.
- Organize your testing plan and scenarios. One of our specialists can help you build them the right way: test scenarios can be automated by SAP so that you can reduce your testing efforts.
- Correct payroll errors that can lead to incorrect accumulations, calculations and remittances, especially in the first few years following a new implementation. Make sure all benefits, deductions, earnings and calculations are correct and entered in the right place.
5. Use key documentation
While it is always a good idea to follow clear steps when year-end arrives, it is even better to keep your business processes up to date throughout the year to improve efficiency. To help you be prepared at year-end, IN-RGY provides you with essential documentation so you can:
Standardize your processes
- YE adjustments and reconciliation
- YE forms and reporting
- Addition, amendment or cancellation of slips
- Employee self-serve (forms accessible through SAP Renewal)
Improve your YE system adjustment deployment
- Project plan and checklist
- Configuration template
- OSS notes and transport tracking template
- Test results and table compare analysis, SPAU/SPDD transactions and results analysis
Year-end process checklist
To be sure you have everything covered for your year-end process, use our handy checklist.
If you need help with your year-end process or are unsure about the steps to follow, contact our team of professionals for advice.